Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Franchi 1-12

1. Default Franchi 1-12

Just bought a new franchi I-12 in APG yesterday. I had previously shot one and love the way it feels and shoots. Have a couple of questions. First one is which choke tube will give me the best results shooting clays? Should I use of the stock ones or by one of the extended tubes for best results?

Other question is doess anyone know where one can find the manual for this gun online? Mine did not appear to come with one.

2. Default

You deffinately need the manual. Call Benelli and order one, I think manuals are free.

The stock tubes seem to be fine for me (I just got an I-12 a couple weeks ago). Today I shot really well and the errors that occured (me missing the clays) were just my fault, either shooting ahead of the clay or behind. Really smooth gun.

Quote Originally Posted by willworkforguns View Post
    Just bought a new franchi I-12 in APG yesterday. I had previously shot one and love the way it feels and shoots. Have a couple of questions. First one is which choke tube will give me the best results shooting clays? Should I use of the stock ones or by one of the extended tubes for best results?

Other question is doess anyone know where one can find the manual for this gun online? Mine did not appear to come with one.
    The stock ones should work fine for clays, but specifically, what kind of clays? Are you shooting trap, skeet, sporting clays, etc? If you are just doing back yard shooting explain the setup.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes
    . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

-- Thomas Jefferson

The stock tubes will work, although you may get better patterns out of one or the other brands of extended tubes. Only your pattern board will prove that out.

The biggest reason for extended tubes is ease of changing. Especially for sporting clays, you may be changing chokes to match the target presentations. That is less of an issue with skeet, trap or 5-stand. For skeet, you want skeet or improved cylinder. For trap, you may want to start with modified at the 16-yard line and work up to full as you move back. I always shot trap with a full choke, even at the 16-yard line. But I was slow. For 5-stand, you just have to pick the choke you think is best for the different targets and stick with that one through the round. Changing chokes is not allowed during a round.

I use my I-12 for all my claybird shooting, and it works well for me. The only thing I dislike is it doesn't reliably cycle with 1 oz. shells.

Let me put it to you this way, trap modified will work fine, but I prefer improved modfied because it has a tighter pattern, and you can see how you break the clays better and how you need to improve with lead, POI, etc. If you are standing beside the machine which includes skeet, improved cylinder will be perfectly fine, most prefer skeet restriction skeet chokes, but they aren't much tighter than IC chokes. Extended chokes do make it easier to switch chokes, but they also have the option of porting which makes no difference IMO. They also have a smoother tapper which makes them pattern better.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes
    . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

-- Thomas Jefferson

6. Default

Thanks for the information guys. I will try this first shoot with the stock tubes and go from there. Anyone happen to have a manual for this gun? I can find the benelli manuals online but cant find the franchi ones anywhere. I would like to proceed to shooting my new toy bt feel i need to wait on the manual. Called benelli today and left a message but never did get to talk to anyone. Not sure why mine didnt come with a manual but it sure didnt.

Quote Originally Posted by willworkforguns View Post
    Thanks for the information guys. I will try this first shoot with the stock tubes and go from there. Anyone happen to have a manual for this gun? I can find the benelli manuals online but cant find the franchi ones anywhere. I would like to proceed to shooting my new toy bt feel i need to wait on the manual. Called benelli today and left a message but never did get to talk to anyone. Not sure why mine didnt come with a manual but it sure didnt.
    If you have handled semi auto shotguns and are very familiar I would go ahead and shoot it. But you are supposed to read the manual before shooting the gun, but if it doesn't come with the manual then do you have to read before shooting

-- Thomas Jefferson

The Stoeger 2000 is the same gun. Call Stoeger and get one of the 2000 manuals. Same parts, same maintenance. The stock is a bit prettier on the I-12. Phone 800-264-4962.

Quote Originally Posted by evbutler View Post
    The Stoeger 2000 is the same gun. Call Stoeger and get one of the 2000 manuals. Same parts, same maintenance. The stock is a bit prettier on the I-12. Phone 800-264-4962.
    I googled it and it is hard to find a manual for either one of these guns. Ev is right call them don't email them they don't email back.

-- Thomas Jefferson

10. Default

I did call benelli back this morning and they emailed me the franchi I-12 manual in pdf format. if anyone else needs it just let me know your email.

I put 50 rounds through it tonight to break it in and it shot beatifully by the way. Going tomorrow to put another 50 or so through it.